Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Heal! by Randy Hale

I'm pleased to share the winning essay of the 2016 Intima Essay Contest written by Randy Hale. Sunday mornings I'm fortunate to share the writing table with Randy. This essay is testimony to the value of that practice.
HEAL! | Randy Hale

The sign reads: “Correctional Facility – Do Not Pick Up Hitchhikers.”

With a hair trigger reflex, I conjure scenes of mayhem and murder, complete with ominous score, courtesy of The Doors: 

“There’s a killer on the road. His brain is squirming like a toad. If you give this man a ride sweet family will die.”

“Snap out of it,” I admonish myself.

But I can’t help wondering how often a hitchhiker, freshly escaped from the prison we’re approaching, actually travels this road. Often enough to need a sign, is my uneasy answer.  Read More ...

No comments: