Monday, June 22, 2015

What a Week!



Spring quarter and the academic year ended last Monday as I taught my ESL students how to register for summer quarter while secretly rejoicing my own upcoming freedom. Don't get me wrong. I love to teach. But summer is when I become a fulltime writer. A time I cherish.

On Tuesday I arrived with time to spare before my Memoir Writing Workshop at the Duvall Library. I came across this bench as I wandered about town and wondered how the authors would feel about the current employment of their hard-earned words.


I 'd never taught a library workshop. I didn't anticipate the friendly support of librarian Kathleen O'Keeffe, or the serious determination of the nine women who participated, or that I'd fail to use the final version of my PowerPoint presentation. A fact that woke me at 5:30 a.m. the following morning.

The bulk of the week was spent on CreateSpace, culminating Friday with the publication of the last of a dozen short books in easy English for adults. Pamela Hobart Carter and I are pleased to share these books with new readers and educators through No Talking Dogs Press. Our website is still under construction with titles, links and curriculum yet to add, but you can find all 12 books on Amazon under Pamela Hobart Carter or Arleen Williams. If you work with ESL or ABE populations, or know someone who does, I hope you'll share this new resource. 

When Saturday rolled around, I was at the Morgan Community Festival in West Seattle where eleven local authors shared their work in a series of readings throughout the day. Many thanks to Alice Kuder for spearheading this event and to Merryweather Books for being on hand to sell our work.

Yesterday was Solstice and Father's Day. For my family, it was a day of morning Dim Sum and afternoon boating in the Seattle sunshine. It was the kind of day I dream of during the long gray months of winter: a day of family and relaxation, a day to remember how grateful I am for this life I lead.

2 comments:

Jack said...

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working.

arleen said...

Thanks, Jack. Just have to find time to write!